Winter running with a jogging stroller is a little extra work but is definitely worth it to get some fresh air for you and the little one(s). This summer I wrote a post about tips for running with a jogging stroller and I am revisiting that today with a winter edition!
7 Tips for Running with a Jogging Stroller: Winter Edition
1. Check the Weather. Make sure it is in fact warm enough to take your little one outside in the jogging stroller and that there are no storms heading your way. My general rule of thumb is for the weather to be +30°F with low winds. Be sure to dress yourself and your child appropriately for the weather!
2. Use the Weather Shield. BOB makes an awesome weather shield that keeps the chilly wind off my toddler and keeps him a little warmer than the actual outside temp. The shield is handy even in the spring temps up to around 60°F! I definitely wouldn't run with the stroller in the winter without the weather shield.
|The boys are ready to run!|
3. Get Some Traction. Running on icy roads is hard enough and adding the weight of a stroller to the equation can make the situation even more challenging! Yaktrax have been essential to my outdoor running this winter because the roads in our town are super icy and I need an extra grip when pushing E's 25 lbs + the weight of the stroller itself.
|Yaktrax - the best invention since sliced bread (for cold weather runners at least).|
4. Be Visible to Vehicles. Dress bright, watch out for traffic and only run in daylight. Don't expect cars to stop for you, especially on icy roads. I wear my bright orange Boston marathon coat (that barely fits my belly now) and it makes me easy to see in the mostly white, snowy environment.
|I'm starting to look more pregnant now but at least I can still see my toes!|
5. Pack Food & Drink. A perk of running with a stroller is the extra storage space! I always pack my water bottle plus a sippy cup and snack for E. If I put milk in his sippy cup, he's almost guaranteed to fall asleep :) A sleeping toddler is a happy passenger!
6. Always Wear the Safety Strap. The stroller's safety strap is like a lifeline for your child. It's tempting to not use the strap, especially when switching hands frequently, but it could mean the difference between life and death (that sounds a little dramatic, but it's true). Even the most experienced runners (umm, not me.) slip on ice and that stroller needs to stop with you!
|Running with the safety strap attached (and the dog leash, too!)|
7. Enjoy the Run! Have fun running and being outdoors with your little one. Running in the snow and ice is hard and then add the extra weight of a stroller on that - it really slows you down! Try running for a specific distance or a certain amount of time instead trying to run at race pace. If you're feeling crazy, leave your running watch at home. (Though take your phone with for safety reasons!)
|A ride in the stroller is a great fix for a cranky morning... Poor guy was just tired.|
Do you prefer to exercise outdoors or indoors in the winter?
And now a quick pregnancy update for this week:
Pregnancy Week 22: Baby #2
Baby's Size: Papaya, average fetus size: 10.5 to 11.8 in, 12.7 to 20.8 oz.
Cravings: Same as last week. Cheese and eggs, please. A cup of dark coffee with a little half n' half is near essential for my mornings.
|Avocado Egg Salad. I could eat this every day!|
Aversions: Fried food gives me major heartburn so I would consider fried chicken my newest aversion :( It's probably for the better anyways!
I'm Feeling: Ecstatic to pick up Leo! I'm feeling really good and so thankful that this pregnancy is healthy and going well. Fears of going into preterm labor creep into my head now and then but I'm praying about it and being sure to drink a whole lot of water and rest more.
Sleep: The more the better. By 9:00 pm, I'm ready for bed and have been struggling to wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 am lately!
Weight: +11 lbs from pre-pregnancy weight.
My Prayer for Baby: "Thank You, God, for the gift of this pregnancy, the honor of being E's mom and for my husband returning home soon. I pray that You help me to remember to go to You with each and every decision I have to make and that our children will learn by my example.
Continue to guide Baby 2's development so perfectly and help my body to carry him or her to full-term. Give me the wisdom and understanding to be a godly wife, mother and to hear Your Voice every day. Amen."
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. PROVERBS 3:5-6Last Week's Workouts:
Monday: 3.51 miles with the jogging stroller & dog, 9:47/mile. Windy and snowy!Linking up at Fitness Friday and Mommy Moments.
Tuesday: G-Fit Workout of the Day
Wednesday: 4.01 miles with the jogging stroller & dog, 9:41/mile. Very icy, but less windy today.
Thursday: 3.015 treadmill miles, 9:57/mile.
Friday: Strength training
Saturday: Planning ~3 miles
Total Mileage: To be determined...